Just as DNA is the building block of life, PFEP is the building block of your supply chain.
PFEP & LEAN
According to Doug Bartholomew, writing for the Lean Enterprise Institute, “The first step in creating a lean material-handling system is to develop a Plan for Every Part (PFEP).” Without a PFEP it is impossible to implement any true lean system, and wastes become unavoidable.
“…it’s no wonder many organizations overlook a key piece of any lean material handling system: a plan for every part.”
Where we come in
There are three basic steps when implementing a PFEP. The first is realizing how critical a PFEP is to your organization and supply chain. The second step is collecting all relevant and necessary parts information (further information on this step). Next, you have to decide on the best data storage method that keeps the PFEP information visible and easily accessible. This is where loopPFEP, a web-based PFEP application, comes in.
“…PFEP can be seen on the shop floor, but is rarely used to achieve a wider supply-chain perspective.” (source)
Importance of a web-based PFEP
Having a web-based PFEP allows for the highest visibility, easiest access, and greatest inter-connectivity throughout your entire supply chain. Having your supply chain interact with one application and a centralized set of data keeps your PFEP clean and standardized. Syncing your supply chain loop has never been easier when you have seamless online integration between your suppliers and production facilities.
“… after completing a PFEP, was able to reduce its inventory of purchased parts by 52%” (source)
Downfalls of Excel or Microsoft Access PFEP Storage
Many organizations begin PFEP with an Excel Spreadsheet or an Access database. These options are extremely limited for a number of reasons:
– Limited visibility (hard for multiple users to view and have access to spreadsheets or Microsoft Access databases)
– Weak or no change management (loopPFEP does a great job of change management)
– Can freeze up or get deleted completely without proper management
– Hard to perform analysis with the data (no real tools)
– Can become hard to maintain by being over-loaded with data
– Data manipulation and import process is very manual
Why loopPFEP Stands Out
loopPFEP takes the classic PFEP plant-level methodology and transforms it into an entire global supply chain approach. loopPFEP provides top level management visibility by presenting dashboards to give insight by model, project, company, plant, production line, and point of use.
With built in dashboards, project management, and workflow auto-notifications, loopPFEP can provide the following benefits:
– Improved speed, quality, and cost of product launches
– Optimized material handling and staging methods
– Reduced supply chain packaging cost
– Reduced supply chain transportation cost
– Improved visibility of capacity constraints
– Improved visibility tooling capacity and maintenance requirements
– Improved availability of parts and confidence that when MRP runs all ordering parameters needed have been reviewed.
Learn more about the loopPFEP software at loopsupplysystems.com/pfep.